Welcome to Manhasset
An idyllic hamlet in Nassau County that is one of the nicest places to live in the New York City area
Located approximately 21 miles from Manhattan, Manhasset is a peaceful town of distinctive neighborhoods with a pleasant suburban feeling. On the tip of Manhasset Bay on Long Island Sound, most residents own their homes. It is a great place to raise a family or to settle down in retirement.
Manhasset is an anglicized Native American word that translates to "the island neighborhood." The area traces its history back to 1680 and grew in popularity thanks to its location on the Long Island Rail Road. The Vanderbilt family once owned an estate in the area, and other wealthy families have lived in Manhasset.
Manhasset has a low crime rate and has ideal access to Manhattan by car or rail. It is known for its high-end shops and distinct local merchants. The median home value is more than $1 million, and houses in private gated communities are available.
What to Love
- Miracle Mile is a stretch of luxury stores, boutiques, and restaurants that was made famous in Billy Joel’s hit “It’s Still Rock And Roll To Me”
- Whitney Pond Park is a scenic area that has a pool, picnic area, playground, tennis courts, and walking path
- Stepping Stones Light is a Victorian-style lighthouse in Long Island Sound that was built in 1877
People & Lifestyle
With a population of only 8,000, Manhasset offers a peaceful lifestyle in fabulous, upscale neighborhoods with a pleasant suburban feel. The hustle and bustle of Manhattan seems a world away. The median household income is more than $130,000.
Despite being small in physical size, Manhasset offers everything needed for a comfortable lifestyle, including the best in schools, dining, shopping, and parks.
Dining, Entertainment & Shopping
Great dining establishments can be found up and down the Miracle Mile on Northern Boulevard and Plandome Road. For breakfast, try Best Bagels. For a spectacular dinner, try modern steakhouse Bryant Cooper, top Italian restaurants Cafe Continental and Cipollini, and Toku Modern Asian.
Americana Manhasset is a luxury, open-air shopping center on the Miracle Mile that offers 60 upscale shops and boutiques, including Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Giorgio Armani, Tiffany, and Cartier. Manhasset Center is another popular shopping mall with residents.
Things to Do
Besides shopping and dining, visitors can spend hours visiting various natural attractions. Among them is the Science Museum of Long Island, which is located on the Leeds Pond Preserve and is a nonprofit organization devoted to teaching children about the range of sciences through a variety of programs. The Nassau County Museum of Art is located on the former Frick "Clayton" Estate, a 145-acre property in nearby Roslyn Harbor.
There are a number of parks in Manhasset, including 98-acre Christopher Morley Park, which offers golf, swimming, and ice skating; and Plandome Pond Park, known for its walking paths and pond. There are also holiday parades, and the SCA Fair is a fun-filled community event that is the largest Manhasset School Community Association fundraising event of the year.
Manhasset is home to a number of excellent schools. Top educational opportunities include:
- Shelter Rock Elementary School is a large public elementary school with a small-school feeling that provides excellent instruction
- Manhasset Secondary School is a six-year comprehensive public high school and middle school. It was a 2019 National Blue Ribbon School
- Saint Mary’s College Preparatory High School is a private school that offers a classical liberal arts education in the Catholic intellectual tradition